The Center for Court Innovation is a non-profit organization that works to create a more effective and humane justice system by performing original research and helping launch reforms by guiding justice innovators, nationally and internationally. The Center creates operating projects that have been documented to reduce the use of jail and prison, assist victims of crime, and strengthen communities.
The Staten Island Justice Center (Justice Center) offers an array of programming for both youth and adults in Staten Island, focusing on engaging those with current or past justice involvement. The Justice Center's new reentry program will provide participants with wraparound services focused on employment/educational support, mentorship, and social-emotional support.
The Justice Center is seeking a Social Worker to join the reentry team. This position will work as a part of an interdisciplinary team utilizing a strengths-based and community-based model to engage those transitioning from incarceration into the Staten Island community. Reporting to the Program Manager, the Social Worker is primarily responsible for providing comprehensive advocacy and case management, counseling, and socio-emotional programming for participants. The Social Worker will also facilitate groups and assist in development of onsite services for participants.
The Justice Center strongly encourages and seeks applications from women, people of color, LGBTQ community members, as well as individuals with prior contact with the criminal justice system.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provide comprehensive, clinically-informed case management services to participants including regular in-person meetings and phone calls;
- Complete intakes of participants and administer needs assessment tool;
- Facilitate group sessions for program participants;
- Communicate with community-based service providers to facilitate, follow-up and assist participants with voluntary service referrals;
- Complete all necessary documentation and input data into computer database;
- Engage with the Staten Island community including attending community events, conducting outreach, and supporting Justice Center initiatives;
- Assist with the development of on-site programming that is responsive to participants' needs;
- Attend staff meetings and on-going trainings as well as participate in community events;
- Assist with data collection;
- Other relevant duties, as needed.
Qualifications: The ideal candidate will be a LMSW or be eligible for LMSW licensure in the State of New York within 90 days of hire. Other qualifications include:
- At least 2 years of experience working with justice involved individuals, including advocacy, case management, and group facilitation;
- Candidates must be comfortable working in a community-based environment;
- Candidates must be open to constructive engagement with differing and, at times, competing perspectives;
- Candidates must be committed to using holistic and strengths-based approaches;
- Candidates must have the ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds in a culturally-competent manner;
- In-depth knowledge of and familiarity with the Staten Island community preferred;
Position Type: Full-time; the standard work week is 35 hours, Monday through Friday.
Compensation: Hourly rate starts at $31.76 and is commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits package including comprehensive health, dental, vision, and life insurance, four weeks paid vacation, paid sick time, Flexible Spending Account plans for commuter, health and dependent care, a 403(b) retirement plan with a generous employer match.