Description - External
Design and execute independent research that supports R&D projects. The Senior Scientist is primarily responsible for performing and managing scientific and technical activities, which may also include responsibility for the management of scientific staff.
As an employee of Boehringer Ingelheim, you will actively contribute to the discovery, development and delivery of our products to our patients and customers. Our global presence provides opportunity for all employees to collaborate internationally, offering visibility and opportunity to directly contribute to the companies' success. We realize that our strength and competitive advantage lie with our people. We support our employees in a number of ways to foster a healthy working environment, meaningful work, diversity and inclusion, mobility, networking and work-life balance. Our competitive compensation and benefit programs reflect Boehringer Ingelheim's high regard for our employees.
Duties & Responsibilities\:
- Independently propose, direct and perform scientific experiments with a predefined project goal including developing new methodologies, protocols and procedures; Keep abreast of relevant literature and maintain a high level of expertise in own field; Protect intellectual properties through new patent applications
- Collaborate with chemists to develop novel applications for automated systems and flow platforms. The role will involve the development of flow processes using reaction kinetics. Develop an understanding of R&D team goals and work effectively toward achieving them in a multidisciplinary team environment; Either assumes departmental responsibility for projects when assigned or demonstrate leadership initiative in technical expertise areas to advance projects towards key milestones, as per requirement
- Acquire knowledge of and assist in implementing new technologies; Ensure integration of new technologies and department initiatives into daily work to enhance productivity
- Effectively communicate own and/or team's work and deliver project updates to senior level management clearly in oral and written forms in the context of project goals
- Responsible for lab/group operation including coaching, mentoring, training, supervising and developing staff when assigned; Participate in recruiting when needed
- Develop and maintain visibility through presentations and publications; Take the lead in publications and patents when needed
- Contribute to departmental administration when needed; Demonstrate fiscal responsibility with respect to cost of experiments, technologies, external collaborations, and travel
- Comply with all regulations and policies; Perform all work in a safe manner; Maintain proper records (notebooks, batch sheets, etc.) per relevant SOPs.
- Ph.D. Degree or equivalent (e.g. Master's Degree with 10+ years of experience) in organic chemistry/physical chemistry or chemical engineering,
- Demonstrated broad knowledge of continuous flow process, development of autonomous chemical processes, analyzers, and process control tools, organic chemistry and the ability to independently design and optimize organic reactions, and ability to evaluate and interpret data.
- Ability to communicate effectively both in verbal and written forms in inter-disciplinary environments
- Must be able to work in a team environment, provide training and guidance to laboratory personnel
Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without restriction.
Must be willing to take a drug test and post-offer physical (if required)
Must be 18 years of age or older
This position will require individuals to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or have an approved medical or religious accommodation. Click here for more information on the vaccine mandate and COVID-19.
Who We Are\:
At Boehringer Ingelheim we create value through innovation with one clear goal\: to improve the lives of patients. We develop breakthrough therapies and innovative healthcare solutions in areas of unmet medical need for both humans and animals. As a family owned company we focus on long term performance. We are powered by 50.000 employees globally who nurture a diverse, collaborative and inclusive culture. Learning and development for all employees is key because your growth is our growth.
Want to learn more? Visit and join us in our effort to make more health.
Boehringer Ingelheim is an equal opportunity global employer who takes pride in maintaining a diverse and inclusive culture. We embrace diversity of perspectives and strive for an inclusive environment, which benefits our employees, patients and communities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to a person's actual or perceived race, including natural hairstyles, hair texture and protective hairstyles; color; creed; religion; national origin; age; ancestry; citizenship status, marital status; gender, gender identity or expression; sexual orientation, mental, physical or intellectual disability, veteran status; pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition; genetic information (including the refusal to submit to genetic testing) or any other class or characteristic protected by applicable law.