TITLE: Senior Engineer - Glass
LOCATION: Flexible any one of the following locations:
- Huntersville, NC
- Atlanta, GA
- Indianapolis, IN
- Whatley, MA
REPORTS TO: Sr Sourcing Manager, Direct Material and VA/VA
Newell Brands is searching for a highly motivated Senior Engineer - Glass. The ideal candidate will work across multiple functions and collaborate with all the Newell Brands' business units as a centralized resource. The candidate will lead efforts to qualify new raw materials, manage raw materials suppliers and deal with interactions of raw materials on products and process across business units. The candidate will solve challenging technical issues by understanding glass materials and manufacturing technology, specifically press and blow, IS and pressed processes. Project support serves as the base of operations and the Senior Engineer - Glass would play a major role in growing capabilities with new tools/techniques/logic to help solve new problems. This corporate engineering - glass role serves Newell Brands' business units with an expectation for rapid solution development and strong technical competence.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Senior Engineer - Glass is responsible for researching and understanding material properties and processes related to glass products. They will often work in conjunction with raw material vendors, internal and external manufacturing facilities, and product engineering.
- Identify and qualify raw materials to improve yield, reduce costs, improve product attributes, and enable new products to meet all financial targets and productivity goals.
- Interact with raw material purchasing and supply chain functions to implement strategies and action plans to ensure that suppliers support Newell Brands' business needs.
- Evaluates and utilizes internal/external technologies and partnering with key suppliers to solve complex problems which will enhance product design, performance and assure best cost.
- Develop process simulations to extend knowledge base and prove/disprove hypotheses.
- Provide material expertise and leadership for glass-based programs. This may include prototyping, pilot operations and process characterization to ensure the successful implementation of projects and savings opportunities.
- Maintain high quality engineering principles, including extensive use of statistics, structured problem-solving methods such as KT, DoE, and DMAIC, DMAIC six sigma tools.
- Proactively attend conferences and meet with vendors to identify new trends and technology that could lead to new product advancements and cost savings opportunities.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to perform failure analysis and evolution of glass materials.
- Conduct experiments and operate various analytical testing equipment.
- Identify/support corporate wide Value-Added Value Engineering (VAVE) cost reduction initiatives
Education and Requirements:
- Bachelor of Science in Materials Science, Mechanical, or Chemical Engineering. Master of Science preferred.
- 4+ years of experience in glass materials or a manufacturing setting.
- High degree of technical competence relative to glass/ceramic structure-property relationship, raw material/commodity knowledge a plus.
- Up to 35% travel, both domestic and international is required.
Key Skills Desired
- Experience with regulatory requirement around glass applications is a plus.
- Demonstrated project management effectiveness in R&D and/or manufacturing environments is preferred (developing plant trials, communication plans, awareness of budget restraints, etc.).
- Knowledge of different materials characterization and analysis methods (i.e. SEM, EDS, XRD, Raman, etc.)
- Familiar with failure analysis and fractography of glass, ceramics, and other brittle materials
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, including the ability to use statistical tools and techniques.
- Ability to independently drive projects and deliver a product.
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to build relationships with customers, suppliers, and co-workers and ability to work independently.
- Effective planning/organizational skills with a demonstrated ability to multi-task and set priorities.
- Attention to detail and dedication to documenting and embedding knowledge within the organization.
- Team-oriented, with high energy and desire to build strong relationships, collaborate and drive results across multi-functional and discipline boundaries in a dynamic, multi-project environment.
Newell Brands (NASDAQ: NWL) is a leading global consumer goods company with a strong portfolio of well-known brands, including Paper Mate, Sharpie, Dymo, EXPO, Parker, Elmers, Coleman, Marmot, Oster, Sunbeam, FoodSaver, Mr. Coffee, Graco, Baby Jogger, NUK, Calphalon, Rubbermaid, Contigo, First Alert, and Yankee Candle. For hundreds of millions of consumers, Newell Brands makes life better every day, where they live, learn, work and play. Newell Brands and its subsidiaries are Equal Opportunity Employers and comply with applicable employment laws. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled are encouraged to apply.