Our Client, an innovative composite products company, is seeking a forward-thinking Product Development Engineer to join their team in their new Gunnison UT. facility.
Product Development Engineer
The Product Development Engineer has the responsibility to assist in the development of designs and processes to support the production of high-quality thermoset plastic composite products at Future Comp. This position will work in a supporting role in the Engineering group to design tools, create drawings, generating cut files, and develop processes to support the implementation of new parts or process operations. A Product Development Engineer may be asked to take the lead on assigned projects and must be able to work directly with other departments in the company and with customers.
- Performs assigned tasks with little oversight
- Demonstrates mastery of all required CAD and other software skills
- Strives to deliver assigned tasks on time
- Has a good attitude and is able positively influence others
- Good communication skills
- Good knowledge of lean manufacturing principles
- Solid planning and organizational skills
- Experience with DFMfg and DOE and Project Management is desired
- Assist other engineers in fixture and tool design using SolidWorks for part modeling and assembly that meet the requirements of the customer drawings and specifications
- Support other engineers by developing drawings for inspection, production, and machining using SolidWorks drawing packages
- Create SWI (Standard Work Instructions) for visual and text instruction that gives a clear representation of how parts and assemblies should be built in order to meet customer requirements
- Work within specified scope, schedule, and budget provided to complete new product development projects
- Track and document time, activities, and results of individual product development projects
- Assist manufacturing personnel with lean training and improvements for process flow and waste reduction.
- Understands basic functions using Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project)
- Has experience using solid and surface modeling computer programs (SolidWorks is preferred) to create 3D models and/or 2D drawings.
- Has basic knowledge of composite manufacturing processes and machining practices to provide direction to shop personnel regarding appropriate lay-up and bagging techniques and provide instructions to machining and assembly workers on proper tools and techniques for composite parts and assemblies.
- Basic understanding of lean principles and how to create a lean culture throughout an organization.
- Project management
- Manufacturing and mechanical engineering principles
- Ability to read and interpret engineering drawings and part lists to properly determine customer requirements
- Basic understanding of part tolerances and how they relate to process capabilities. Experience with geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T) is preferred.
- Ability to work in a team environment under the direction of other engineers
- Can effectively communicate with shop personnel regarding customer requirements and can communicate shop concerns to superiors to facilitate process improvements.
- Excellent reading comprehension skills to interpret customer and industry specifications.
- Gets along well with other people
- Respect others
- Able to communicate well through listening and understanding as well as providing instruction
- Always strives for continuous improvement both personally and in business
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical or Manufacturing Engineering.
- Ten years of related industry experience may be considered in lieu of an Engineering degree
- 2+ years of professional experience in composite manufacturing)