This position is eligible for a minimum of $30k Sign-On Bonus
Sign on bonus is not permitted for internal candidates
At Raytheon Missiles & Defense, by combining our vast resources and investments we are able to dedicate ourselves to solving mission-level vs. product-level customer challenges - together we can anticipate more, move faster and make a bigger impact on the big picture.
Whole Life Engineering (WLE) is responsible for ensuring our products are Safe, Reliable, Maintainable, and delivered on time. WLE consists of multiple disciplines that support engineering, our program offices and our customers. Our WLE disciplines participate in the total life cycle of our products from conception to deactivation. Our focus area is product support, including the following disciplines: Reliability, System Safety and Supportability.
The Ordnance Assessment (OA) Program provides a continuing assessment of the effects of operational environments on the product's safety, quality, performance, reliability, and service life status. Surveillance tests are used to assess the effects of long-term storage; identify and establish controls for items that are calendar age, operating time, or cycle-time sensitive; ascertain aging or environmentally induced trends, service/shelf-life limits and other criteria affecting life cycle reliability and operational readiness.
As an Ordnance Assessment Engineer you'll work with our Air Force Customers, various commercial and government test facilities, RMD integrated product teams (IPTs), many engineering and support organizations including, but not limited to: Energetics and Propulsion, Materials and Process Engineering (M&PE), Mechanical, Electrical, Safety, Reliability, Quality, and Supply Chain to execute this program.
As an Ordnance Assessment Engineer, you'll perform Ordnance Assessment Program activities including:
- Performing missile and lower level assembly teardown inspections (hands on in the engineering lab
- Writing energetic item accelerated aging, environmental, and functional test plans
- Coordinating accelerated aging and testing of energetic and mechanical components at Raytheon Missiles and Defense' (RMD) environmental test facility (ETF), manufacturer's facilities or other designated test facilities
- Writing final assessment reports and presenting results at Customer reviews.
We value diverse skills and experience, so don't hold back. Your qualifications could add tremendous value to our team. Our customers come from all different backgrounds, and so do our employees. If you're passionate about what you could accomplish here, we'd love to hear from you.
Responsibilities to Anticipate:
- Work with minimal guidance and collaborate with other engineers and scientists to evaluate product service/shelf-life limitations related to degradation in performance, safety and reliability.
- Working with colleagues who oversee surveillance activities in place at various test facilities.
- Presenting program status to customers, colleagues and/or leadership at Program and Technical reviews.
- Engineering analysis, oversight of test & evaluation, generation of test plans, test reports, and the reduction of test data for use in making service/shelf-life predictions in support of contract deliverables.
- Work with various disciplines to identify methods and processes to uncover service/shelf-life limitation in all aspects of product design.
- Surveillance activities include various types of environmental tests, component level functional testing and the breakdown, test and critical analysis of individual components.
Minimal travel (three to four times per year) required for offsite testing of energetics.
This role is posted as Hybrid. Commuting costs to and from the Tucson facility are the responsibility of the incumbent.
Qualifications You Must Have:
Typically Requires: Bachelor's degree and and 8 years of relevant experience OR an Associate's degree and 10 years of relevant experience OR 5 years of relevant experience with an advanced degree. in absence of a Bachelor's degree, 12 years of relevant experience is required.
- Engineering or manufacturing experience
- Experience with component failure
- Experience with statistical analysis techniques
- The ability to obtain and maintain a US security clearance. US citizenship is required as only US citizens are eligible for a security clearance.
Qualifications We Value:
- Existing DoD Secret clearance
- Understanding of engineering principles and concepts, including understanding of environmental effects on hardware concepts in relation to the operation of aging components and materials, working knowledge of mechanical components, materials selection and characterization, testing and hardware integration.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Analytical skills with the ability to collect, organize, analyze, and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong and effective organizational skills with ability prioritize tasks; ability to respond efficiently and effectively to time-critical issues
- Ability to follow defined processes, in compliance with regulations
- Proficiency with computers and Microsoft Office products
What We Offer: Whether you are just starting out on your career journey or are an experienced professional, we offer a robust total rewards package that goes above and beyond with compensation; healthcare, wellness, retirement and work/life benefits; career development and recognition programs. Some of the superior benefits on offer include parental (including paternal) leave, flexible work schedules, achievement awards, educational assistance and child/adult backup care
This job is located in beautiful Tucson, AZ. Recognized as one of America's 10 Best Small Cities, Tucson has a friendly, laid-back atmosphere, combined with the innovation and energy of a metropolitan region. Surrounded by beautiful mountains, the colorful Sonoran Desert landscape and majestic saguaro cacti, Tucson showcases some of nature's best work. Tucson is known for its bright blue skies, and with more than 310 sunny days per year, this fantastic weather allows residents enjoy the outdoors year-round.
This job is posted internally as: Principal Engineer, Systems Engineering
This requisition is ERIP Eligible. Employee Referral Award Eligibility: Only employees currently within RMD and RI&S have the potential to receive a Referral Award for submitting a referral to RMD and RI&S roles. ALL eligibility requirements must be met to receive the Referral Award.
Raytheon Technologies is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.