Postdoctoral Program Overview
The Postdoctoral Program is designed for investigational and experimental research. Participants will be mentored by renowned industry scientists and collaborators at AbbVie and focused on delivering cutting-edge advancements in Discovery, Development Sciences, and BioPharma. This enriching training program offers a balance of structured learning and work experience which fosters a learning environment to advance individual development and offers accessibility to high-level knowledge-building across the drug development continuum.
To be successful in our goals as an organization, we developed the AbbVie Postdoc Program for outstanding individuals willing to challenge themselves to find the best solutions for our patients.
You will be a technical expert who will investigate, identify, develop, and optimize new methods / techniques to address critical project needs. AbbVie Postdoctoral Fellows continuously seek to improve existing laboratory methods and processes, read and adapt literature to accomplish assignments, and demonstrate mastery of a broad range of experimental techniques and methods of data analysis.
We are seeking scientists from key academic institutions within preferred areas of science in the U.S. to provide a unique opportunity for participants to build a solid career foundation in the pharmaceutical industry while building the AbbVie brand as an employer of choice for scientific talent. This assignment is expected to last 2-4 years, though exceptions may be made for certain postdoctoral assignments.
We seek a dynamic postdoctoral scientist to join the Discovery Platform Technologies (DPT) department as a member of the Chemical Biology and Emerging Therapeutics team. This postdoctoral fellow and scientific mentor will explore, target, investigate, and evaluate key areas of novel research that is intended for publication. The successful candidate will apply and develop skills in cell biology, biochemistry, chemical biology, immunology, and analytical techniques to build a novel suite of R&D platforms/assays that have broad utility for biomarker identification and drug discovery research focused on challenging targets. This scientist will have access to cutting-edge technologies and utilize designer small molecule reagents/therapeutics to drive biomarker discovery assay development and demonstrate new possibilities for targeting disease. Successful achievement of postdoctoral fellowship goals within this position has the potential to impact how science is conducted on challenging targets across all of R&D.
This postdoctoral fellow will contribute as a member of a cross-functional team to support AbbVie s drug discovery pipeline while interacting with a broad range of Drug Discovery, Development, and Academic scientists to collectively innovate new ways to perform R&D research on challenging targets. With emphasis on Chemical Immunology, this scientist and highly driven team will perform proof of concept experiments to advance novel therapeutic modalities, methods, and platforms involving the use of molecules to influence immunological responses. This postdoctoral fellow will join an innovative team focused on pioneering novel therapeutics and platforms that transform drug discovery and have an incredible impact on people s lives.
- Utilize existing designer small molecules to develop novel platforms/assays to perform biomarker discovery
- Design and perform tissue-based, cell-based, and biochemical experiments to achieve postdoctoral fellowship goals
- Collaborate with team members (including Chemists and Immunologists) to design new small molecules for synthesis if needed in downstream experiments
- Generate new research strategies to effectively address the Postdoc project needs
- Collaborate with functional and technical experts to facilitate scientific achievement
- Maintain a high level of productivity in the laboratory setting
- Effectively write and communicate research materials
- Resolve research hurdles by effectively utilizing available information and technical expertise
- Proactively seek out new information in the literature and incorporate this into individual project(s) as well as the overall program
- Publish research in peer-reviewed journals and present work at scientific conferences aligned with business objectives
- Demonstrate a high degree of responsibility in maintaining scientific standards, and safe laboratory practices
- PhD and strong research background in Chemical Biology/Immunology, Immunology, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, or related field
- Expert in biochemical assays including western blot, ELISA, Immunoprecipitation, SDS PAGE.
- Strong experience with biomarker identification/staining assays, including flow cytometry, immunohistochemistry (IHC), immunofluorescence (IF).
- Proficient with cell culture/sterile techniques.
- Record of scientific initiative and creativity in research or development activities.
- Capable of independently designing and executing experiments, interpreting data, and identifying appropriate follow-up strategies.
- Excellent project management skills. Ability to multitask and work within timelines.
- Demonstrated scientific writing skills and strong verbal communication skills.
- Global mindset to thrive in a diverse culture and environment.
- Can-do attitude/team-oriented/open to tackling new challenges.
- Experience with tissue processing workflows.
- Experience treating cells with small molecules or biologics.
- Experience with cellular assays, enrichment of proteins from cells and tissues, and downstream sample handling for bio-analytical measurements.
- Knowledge of bifunctional small molecules, and application in cellular and biochemical assays
- Experience with mass spectrometry-based proteomics workflows (including interpretation of tandem mass spectra and related data analysis).
- Knowledge and experience with microscopy data acquisition and analysis
- Experience with CITE-Seq or other single cell RNA-Seq workflows
- Three letters of recommendation (including one from the Thesis Advisor)
- Letter of intent to pursue Postdoc
Key Leadership Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of team to enable higher performance
- Learns fast, grasps the "essence" and can change course quickly where indicated
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages to reality