This position is eligible for a minimum of $30,000 Sign-On Bonus
Sign-on bonuses are not permitted for internal candidates
Do you have a passion for Warhead Technology?
Would you enjoy working on advanced warhead technologies using scientific principles, theories and concepts to the weapon warhead system for implementation into missiles?
Do you strive for customer satisfaction?
Are you a team player and builder?
If you answered "yes" to these questions, we want to talk to you!
At Raytheon Missiles & Defense, by combining our vast resources and investments, we are able to dedicate ourselves to solving mission-level vs. product-level customer challenges - together we can anticipate more, move faster and make a bigger impact on the big picture.
The Principal Mechanical - Warheads Engineer position is in the Energetics and Propulsion Department of the Mechanical Products Team. This organization is responsible for the full spectrum of warhead, fuzing, and propulsion designs/technology, including power systems, ignition, and all other weapon initiation safety systems technology. This individual would develop architectures, top level design concepts, requirements, and performance modeling for new payload systems and other energetic needs. This position is located in Tucson, AZ.
We value diverse skills and experience, so don't hold back. Your qualification could add tremendous value to our team. Our customers come from all different backgrounds, and so do our employees. If you're passionate about what you could accomplish here, we'd love to hear from you.
Responsibilities to Anticipate:
- Apply and/or develop advanced warhead technologies using scientific principles, theories and concepts to the weapon warhead system for implementation into missiles
- Provide technical oversight to the subcontractor
- Review and disposition subcontract data and change requests; prepare and present data to management, government agencies; and project cost account management
- Support the Safety Engineering organization by planning and performing insensitive munitions testing and safety analyses as needed
- Manage subcontract suppliers to specify and deliver required subsystem components on schedule and on budget
- Contribute to technology development roadmaps
- Lead development of design concepts for target defeat mechanisms (warheads)
- Design, analyze, test and evaluate warhead systems
- Perform warhead system/component design
- Support failure analysis and corrective action through redesign of failed warhead component or system
- Present warhead design models and supporting analyses/test results to internal and customer review meetings
- Support proposals requiring warhead technologies
- Provide mentoring for more junior members of the Department
- Oversee development of Critical Item Development Specifications (CIDS)
- Generate warhead performance data files for use in performance assessments and requirements compliance
- Travel to suppliers and government facilities
- Technical management of subcontracts on Government programs
- Proposal and cost preparation, requirements definition, and warhead subsystems analysis, test and verification; operational test support; supplier collaboration
Qualifications You Must Have:
- Bachelor's in Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics (STEM)
- Typically requires Bachelor's degree and 8 years of prior relevant experience OR an Advanced degree and 5 years of relevant experience
- 8 years of experience in warhead engineering or related
- Must have experience in:
- Warhead or Energetic Device Design & Analyses
- Warhead system or subsystem technology readiness level (TRL) maturation or development
- The ability to obtain and maintain a US security clearance prior to the start date. U.S. citizenship is required as only U.S. citizens are eligible for a security clearance
Qualifications We Value:
- 10 plus years of directly related experience in warhead subsystems design, development, and test
- Development of warhead Technical Performance Measures (TPM), Key Product Characteristics (KPC), Key Characteristic Control (KCC)
- Experience with ordnance manufacturing process technologies
- Experience with Munitions mitigation technology (design, materials)
- Supplier collaboration experience and oversight generating specifications and statements of work (SOW)
- Experience in business development and technology road mapping
- Demonstrated success as a team leader
- Systems architecture as warhead subsystem designer
- Co-development of threat defeat requirements from system lethality analyses and validating design lethality implementation in flight simulators
- Validation and verification of lethality elements in system performance modeling from development and qualification tests of subsystems
- Engineering design in development projects
- Project Management as applied to team interaction and deliverables
- Design and analysis of mechanical subsystems
- Advanced engineering degree
What We Offer :
Whether you're just starting out on your career journey or are an experienced professional, we offer a robust total rewards package that goes above and beyond with compensation; healthcare, wellness, retirement and work/life benefits; career development and recognition programs. Some of the superior benefits we offer include parental (including paternal) leave, flexible work schedules, achievement awards, educational assistance and child/adult backup care.
This position is located in beautiful Tucson, AZ. Tucson has a friendly, caring and laid-back atmosphere, combined with the innovation and energy of a metropolitan region and recognized as one of America's 10 Best Small Cities. Surrounded by beautiful mountains, colorful Sonoran Desert landscape and majestic saguaro cacti, Tucson is blessed with some of nature's best work. Tucson is known for its bright blue skies, and with more than 310 sunny days per year, Tucson's fantastic weather lets residents enjoy the outdoors year-round.)
Employee Referral Award Eligibility: Only employees currently within RMD and RI&S have the potential to receive a Referral Award for submitting a referral to RMD and RI&S roles. ALL eligibility requirements must be met ( see guidelines ) to receive the Referral Awarding.
Raytheon Technologies is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.