- Provides leadership and support for nursing and clinical support staff who provide professional nursing care to patients and adhere to national and company standards and guidelines for specialty regulations. Assists the manager of nursing services in supervising and coordinating activities related to nursing functions. Serves as a resource to clinical personnel. Performs direct care responsibilities consistent with Senior RN for the role as assigned.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assists in overseeing the clinical operations for nursing clinical support activities as directed by the manager of nursing services
- Assists in providing staff training and in-service instruction
- Assists in determining staffing requirements and maintaining effective nursing staff coverage for the practice within budgetary guidelines
- Participates in the interviewing and recruiting of nursing personnel
- Assists with the review and revision of clinical policies and procedures
- Assists in verifying correct coding and charge capture
- Assists in annual performance evaluations of nursing and clinical staff.
- Plan, implement, coordinate, evaluate and promote the continuity of care consistent with established standards and practices.
- Assesses health status by interviewing patient regarding current status and medical history.
- Collects and records nursing assessment and interventions.
- Reviews and reports the results of the health status assessment and physical examination, pertinent laboratory data, radiographic data and psychosocial assessment of assigned patients to the provider.
- Assesses patient/family needs and provides teaching and other instructional material.
- Provides psychosocial support to patients and families.
- Maintains patient confidentiality.
- Prepares and administers therapies under the direction and supervision of a physician.
- Administers all medications/blood products using correct medication/blood product, dosage/amount, route, time and technique.
- Assures pre-authorization and appropriate consent forms are obtained prior to administration of therapies where applicable.
- Facilitates dose modification by assessing patient, assessing labs, consulting protocol or treatment plan, calculating dose, and consulting physician regarding dosage modifications, problems and symptom management
- Performs venipuncture, accesses implanted ports and maintains central lines catheter devices.
- Maintains accurate documentation of assigned patient care and treatments provided.
- Applies knowledge of reimbursement procedures and charge capture.
- Maintains work environment
- Restocks the supply area as needed.
- Follows OSHA guidelines when handling cytotoxic agents, biohazardous waste and any other material potentially infected with a blood borne pathogen.
- Maintains all disinfection protocols.
- Maintains equipment according to quality control standards.
- Facilitates clinical operations and patient care
- Manages patient medication refill requests from the pharmacy telephone line and records the information in the patient chart.
- Assists physician with exams and procedures.
- Maintains efficient and appropriate patient flow in and out of exam rooms.
- Facilitates and schedules consultations, pre-testing, diagnostic tests or procedures, referrals and future appointments for patients.
- Triages patient phone calls as needed and documents relevant information in the patient's chart.
- As necessary, facilitates communication between patient/family and interdisciplinary team and coordinates services related to patient care.
- Assist patients in locating available community resources.
- Inter professional collaboration
- Assist and collaborate with clinical research.
- Acts as a resource to LPN/LVNs and medical assistants.
- Provides nursing coverage for the satellite offices as needed.
- Serves as mentor/preceptor and provides day to day guidance to less experienced nurses.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Participates in professional development activities and maintains current knowledge of oncology nursing by participating in ongoing educational opportunities.
Minimum Job Qualifications:
- Graduate from an accredited program for professional nursing education, BSN preferred.
- RN state license and current registration with the State Board of Nursing in practicing state.
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification.
Must maintain continuing education requirements.
Business Experience -
- Five years nursing experience, including at least one year in oncology, preferred.
- One year of supervisory or nursing leadership experience preferred.
Specialized Knowledge/Skills -
- Leadership Skills/ Effective Communication.
- Oncology certification preferred.
- Chemotherapy/Immunotherapy provider card preferred.