Who We Are
Virgin Galactic, (SPCE:NYSE), recognizes that the answers to many of the challenges we face in sustaining life on our beautiful but fragile planet, lie in making better use of space. Sending people to space has not only expanded our understanding of science, but taught us amazing things about human ingenuity, physiology and psychology. From space, we are able to look with a new perspective both outward and back. From space, the borders that are fought over on Earth are arbitrary lines. From space, it is clear that there is much more that unites us than divides us.
We are at the vanguard of a new industry determined to pioneer twenty-first century spacecraft, which will open space to everybody - and change the world for good. Sir Richard Branson, Founder, Virgin Galactic
Virgin Galactic is seeking a lead engineer, for multiple flight control actuator projects focused on our fleet of spaceships and motherships. You will be leading 3 to 5 flight control actuator engineers while coordinating across multiple disciplines within the engineering department to deliver to multiple programs. Familiarity is a must with flight control systems in general; while having direct experience in actuation. Both technical and project leadership are required. This role resides in Flight Controls Engineering department and reports to the Director of Engineering, Flight Controls.
- Lead and mentor team of 3 to 5 direct report engineers in addition to coordinating a multi-discipline team.
- Lead cross functional engineering teams, including internal and external resources, for development, test, and support of flight control actuators to meet program objectives.
- Develop engineering plans for programs in coordination with program and engineering leadership.
- Validate and track schedule and staffing estimates for the Engineering activities.
- Hands-on leadership of actuator test, qualification, troubleshooting, and integration.
- Must have a B.S. or M.S. in an Engineering discipline from an accredited university.
What You Bring
- Experience across entire life cycle, from concept to sustainment, for aerospace systems.
- Design experience for actuation systems, ideally electromechanical flight control actuators.
- Demonstrated leadership of small teams including mentoring, project management, and technical problem solving.
- Hands-on experience testing/troubleshooting electronics and electromechanical systems.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with a high attention to detail.
- 7+ years of experience specific to flight control actuator development, integration, and/or test.
- Applicants must be U.S. persons as defined by the ITAR (22 CFR
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR
- 120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Virgin Galactic is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Virgin Galactic is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.