Clarkson Valley, MODescription:
The Database Administrator is responsible for the monitoring and support of databases used in the development of in-house application solutions and acquired software platforms; Responsible for the implementation and execution of preventative maintenance routines to ensure end-user availability and performance of database files and their related management systems; Work with management to develop database strategies to support organizational needs; Consult with and advise the development staff on proper database usage as it relates to development tasks. Responsible for proper security of all databases and their respective database management systems; Responsible for quality control and auditing of databases to ensure accurate, secure, and appropriate use of both testing and production databases. Establishes/maintains robust methods for monitoring, alerting and capacity management objectives within scope of responsibility.
1. Database Administration
Responsible for the administration of existing enterprise databases. Create databases, tables, procedures and grant permissions. Analyze, load balance, and tune databases for optimal efficiency. Proactively monitor systems for optimum performance and capacity constraints. Monitor scheduled database jobs to ensure successful and timely completion. Monitor and administer DBMS security; including adding and removing users, administering disk space, auditing, and checking for security problems. Maintain documentation on in-house processes.
2. Database Management System Administration
Work with IT personnel on maintaining Operating System and DBMS versions and patches to maintain an acceptable level of support and security of the database instances and servers. Assist with the configuration/installation of new versions of DBMS software, application software, and other software/hardware aspects related to DBMS administration. Work with Development staff in testing new software before being released to production. Monitor backup procedures to ensure sufficient coverage in case of failure. Be prepared to restore/recover any lost databases or database objects. Identify opportunities to retire or integrate legacy database components to maintain manageable number of systems. Document known problems and possible solutions/workarounds into a knowledge base for others to reference.
3. Quality Assurance
- Ensure that database migration plans and database changes are in line with development specifications have been reviewed prior to being promoted to production. Provide the application development unit with final authorization to release the application to production. Assist with staff training as requested. Conduct post-implementation follow-up activities.
4. Systems Administration
- Work with IT staff when needed in system administration and maintenance tasks. These include Server, Storage networks and Back up Services. Administration of these services includes the research, configuration, installation, maintenance, and support to IT and general users. In addition, continued research for improvements and upgrades is necessary.
5 . Management Reporting
- Develop and maintain reporting standards on database performance and usage forecasts.
- Achieve and maintain a current working knowledge of advancements in database management systems. Stay up to date on new versions of supported DBMSs and the advantages/disadvantages that each offers. Attend seminars and conferences designed to build knowledge of the same. Essential Qualifications Education/Experience:
Bachelors Degree in Computer Science or related field is preferred. Minimum of 1+ years of Database administration. SQL experiences and/or coursework related to database administration. Technical Skills:
Knowledge of Database Administration on Microsoft SQL Server in a multi-site high availability environment. Experience with Microsoft SQL Server and a strong desire to acquire skills and experience related to SQL in the Microsoft ecosystem, SQL queries, and stored procedures. Knowledge of or desire to learn high availability solutions such as Microsoft Windows Failover Clustering and AlwaysOn Availability Groups. Working knowledge of SQL Server and system performance tuning tools such as Perfmon, Database Engine Tuning Advisor, SQLIO, PAL, SQL Sentry Performance Advisor, DMVs. Knowledge of T-SQL or strong desire to learn. Knowledge of PowerShell is beneficial.
Must be able to obtain a Federal 6C Security Clearance after hire Contact:
This job and many more are available through The Judge Group. Find us on the web at