The Lubrizol Corporation, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is a market-driven global company serving customers in more than 100 countries. We own and operate manufacturing facilities in 17 countries, as well as sales and technical offices around the world. Through our global sales and manufacturing networks, we are able to deliver the products and services our customers need, where and when they need them.
At Lubrizol, our mission is straightforward: We improve lives as an essential partner in our customers' success, delivering efficiency, reliability or wellness to their end users. Read the cover story in Smart Business Magazine to learn how Lubrizol plans to advance its growth.Data Scientist / Statistician Intern (BS/MS/PhD Students)
Who are we?
Lubrizol is an innovative specialty chemical company, owned by Berkshire Hathaway, with technologies that improve the performance of our customers' products in the global transportation, industrial and consumer markets. At Lubrizol, our mission is straightforward: We improve lives as an essential partner in our customers' success, delivering efficiency, reliability or wellness to their end users. What does that mean in the real world? Fewer emissions for cleaner air. A smoother, safer drive. Great looking hair. Fibers that breathe and coatings that stay bright. Safer, more comfortable patient care. And that is just to name a few. We're always looking for ways to make the best better.The Statistics & Data Analytics Team
Operating like a start-up company, but with the backing of a large corporation, this empowered and agile team is charged with creating analytics systems that enable highly effective product development via virtual experimentation, optimization and knowledge discovery. In addition, the team provides data science consulting services to the Lubrizol technical community throughout the world.
We are actively recruiting Data Scientist/Statistician Summer interns for 2023. Opportunities are available for students pursuing their Bachelors, Masters, or PhD degrees in relevant areas of study.Potential projects (depending on intern skills and current Lubrizol needs):
Previous Intern Projects Include
- Create predictive models by mining complex data for critical formulating or testing insights
- Implement and assess algorithms in R, Python, SAS, JMP or C#/C++
- Research and implement new statistical, machine learning and/or optimization approaches (PhD level)
- Collaborate with data science team, as well as, scientists and engineers, to understand their needs, and find creative solutions to meet those needs
What tools do you need for success?
- Predictive modeling using Bayesian and machine learning methods
- R/Shiny tool development to enable model predictions and formulation optimization
- Creation of an interactive visualization tool for monitoring predictive models
- Multitask learning (transfer learning) using co-regionalized Gaussian Processes (PhD level)
- Multi-objective optimization using genetic algorithms (PhD level)
- Survival modeling using bagged Cox proportional hazards regression trees (PhD level)
- Bootstrap variance estimation for complex nonlinear models (PhD level)
Please Note: This role may be remote within our operating footprint.
- Enrolled in a Bachelors, Masters or PhD program such as statistics, data analytics, machine learning
- Excellent programming skills with the ability to learn new methods quickly
- Exposure to database systems and the ability to efficiently manipulate complex data (BS/MS level)
- Interest and experience in advanced statistical modeling/machine learning methods (PhD level)
- Coursework in statistical modeling and data mining methods
- Curiosity and creativity
While headquartered in the United States, Lubrizol is truly a global specialty chemical company. We have a major presence in five global regions and do business in more than 100 countries. Our corporate culture ensures that Lubrizol is one company throughout the world, but you will find each region is a unique place to work, live and play.Lubrizol is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, national origin, citizenship, age, religion, marital status, military service, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, or any other characteristic or trait protected by federal, state, or local law.