Remote: This position does not require the employee to be on-site full-time to perform most effectively. The employees role enables them to work off site on a permanent basis.
We encourage Work Life Balance! The Role:
VMEC, Vehicle Motion Embedded Controls, is a production level group that supports the definition, design, and development of all embedded controllers that impact vehicle motion. VMEC Controls Design Engineers are constantly creating new and exciting control strategies, diagnostics, and communication methods to support all applications in the General Motors Portfolio.
VMEC is seeking creative, highly motivated, agile problem solvers with passion and expertise in Controls and great attention to detail. The selected candidates will develop controls and diagnostics using appropriate, common methods for VMEC features and support the growth capabilities to keep us at the forefront of emerging technology. Our Controls Design Engineers:
Additional Job Description Required Skills:
- Develop algorithms for various vehicle features and systems using the Scaled Agile principles (SAFe).
- Research and develop novel solutions to various controls problems that cover multiple domains including chemical, electrical, mechanical, and thermal.
- Continually push technology to lead and define the new state of art for control and system simulation.
- Collaborate with Systems Engineers to define vehicle, sub-system, and behavioral requirements.
- Develop robust algorithms for vehicle systems from a clean sheet, including software architecture, implementation, integration, and test.
- Collaborate with other teams to define and integrate components, check functionality on the bench and on the vehicle.
- Define software unit tests, HIL, and vehicle tests from customer expectations and system requirements.
- See our list of available roles at the bottom of this posting.
- BS in Engineering, Computer Science, or equivalent degree.
- Minimum 2+ years Engineering experience related to embedded controls and/or controls/software development.
- Skilled with Simulink, MATLAB, DOORS, GIT environment(s); plant modeling and/or analysis tools.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with sometimes incomplete requirements.
- High level of analytical problem-solving skills where problems are unusual and difficult.
- Manage complex projects and assignments with a high level of autonomy and accountability for results.
- Lead multi-functional teams and achieve substantial influence without administrative authority.
- Demonstrated honesty, integrity, and trust. Lead by example.
Domains available: Electrification Energy Transfer -
- MS or PhD in Engineering with focus on controls. In depth knowledge of algorithm development and calibration for propulsion system controls.
- Embedded controls development experience.
- Sophisticated sub-system integration including design, implementation, and testing
- System Modeling and Simulation (Software, Hardware, Model in-the-loop).
- Controls software development in C Programming.
- Vehicle Propulsion, Chassis Control and Battery High Voltage, Vehicle Energy Transfer, Charging and Automotive System knowledge is a plus.
Charging & Discharging interfaces, communications, & protocols to enable vehicle to successfully charge and discharge. Includes but not limited to vehicle level AC/DC charging, V2x features, EVSE interfaces, DIN/ISO, CCS, CHAdeMO, GB/T, etc. Electrification Driver Data -
Cluster, radio (HMI), & mobile app customer interfaces and notifications: vehicle range, state of charge, energy usage estimations; plug-in charging experience - schedules, locations, statuses, predictive and energy assist displays. Electrification Propulsion
- Controls design focused on optimizing system operation to maximize range and drivability of electrified vehicles. Including online optimization of torque splits on dual axles of Electric and Hybrid vehicles, selecting/stabilizing engine and transmission states using open and closed loop torque distribution strategies, battery power management and regenerative braking to maximize fuel/energy efficiency while controlling battery state of charge. Additional challenges require applying control theory to prevent or remove disturbances (bumps, clunks, shuddering, etc.) from the driveline. Transmission Controls
- Controls Design positions focused on delivering world class transmission controls such as:
- Superior shift quality through precision clutch and torque controls (engine integration)
- Robust component and system level diagnostics
- Adaptive learning
- Fast feedback to driver inputs for mode and gear changes
- Gasoline Engine
- Controls Design positions utilizing advanced controls methods to deliver world class efficiency and performance for increasingly complicated system architectures. These teams are responsible for all actuator controls, emissions system management, parameter modeling (airflow, torque, exhaust properties, combustion models, etc.) and diagnostics for all gas engines in the General Motors portfolio. Electrification Controls High Voltage
- Electrification Controls focusing on High Voltage controls development. The team focuses on battery cell state of health, power allocation, charging, and high voltage contactor controls. This also controls High voltage safety hazard detection and remedial action. Activities include: Requirements development, Controls design, Software implementation and testing Brake and Chassis Controls -
Controls Design positions focused on areas such as:
- ABS /AWD /Traction /Stability Control on Electric and Autonomous Vehicles
- Brake Moding and Remedial Actions (including Autonomous Vehicle Brakes)
- Brake Controls support for external and autonomous brake requests as well as standstill management and park brake controls
Looking for Vehicle Dynamics and Chassis Controls experience preferred, but not required. Electrification Propulsion Thermal Controls
- Within electrification, work in the emerging area of thermal heat pump control. Topics include thermodynamics, control algorithm design, verification and data validation using an Agile development process. Common tools are ETAS INCA, MDA and Matlab, Simulink. Drive Mode Controls
- Controls to support various drive mode features such as Shift-by-wire, cruise control, torque request, driver modes (sport, tour, tow/haul). Safety Controls Engineer
- Algorithms that detect controls errors and transition the system to a safe state. Focus of work will be electrification and engine controls. Topics include motor control, vehicle motion control, wheel control, and various engine controls topics. FOR GM INTERNAL CANDIDATES:
This role is posted at both the 6th and 7th level. The determination by HR and the Hiring Manager as to whether an offer will be lateral or promotional will be based on a candidates relevant experience and whether the role will amount to a significant increase in level of responsibility. Compensation
: This position may be filled with a senior level or mid-career
professional. The median salary / compensation for both roles are as follows:
Senior Career Professional Median salary is $109,283
Mid-Career Professional Median salary is $88,667 Bonus Potential
: An incentive pay program offers payouts based on company performance, job level, and individual performance. Benefits:
GM offers a variety of health and wellbeing benefit programs. Benefit options include medical, dental, vision, Health Savings Account, Flexible Spending Accounts, retirement savings plan, sickness and accident benefits, life insurance, paid vacation & holidays, tuition assistance programs, employee assistance program, GM vehicle discounts and moreAbout GM
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all. Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day individually and collectively to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team. Benefits Overview
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
..... click apply for full job details