ADVANCED MANUFACTURING AUTOMATION ENGINEERING MANAGER
Job Title: Advanced Manufacturing Automaton Engineering Manager
Location: Chester, VA (Richmond, VA)
What we're looking for:
We are looking for someone to provide leadership and strong technical support for automation solutions to optimize factory costs, quality and customer service through the conception, development and implementation of new and improved manufacturing processes, equipment, tooling, material flow, plant layout or product design.
What you'll be responsible for in this role:
- Ensure the sites uses state of the art automation process and technology.
- Participate in NPI projects and drive successful introduction of new products, production and test concepts from design phase to volume production.
- Drive systematic improvements through analysis of KPIs and other performance data.
- Manage automation projects from conception through completion:
- Interpret equipment capabilities and specifications.
- Define equipment required to achieve optimal production.
- Prepare detailed project scopes of work.
- Develop electrical schematics.
- Prepare and manage schedules.
- Manage installation and modifications.
- Programming and troubleshooting of PLCs and HMIs.
- Start-up and training.
- Provide hands-on engineering support, trouble-shooting and maintenance of any automated process or production floor equipment.
- Helping and supporting manufacturing, to achieve safety, quality, efficiency and throughput goals, identifying opportunities to improve.
- Perform automation/controls programming and engineering functions in accordance with accepted practices and company standards.
- Improve productivity via automation and new process development
- Investigate equipment performance and identify any problems for corrective actions and solutions.
- Independently evaluate existing equipment, methods, processes, and procedures.
- Apply Project Management skills and tools to lead and support capital equipment and improvement projects.
- Share new knowledge so that the capability of the organization increases.
- Resolve equipment failures with focus on root cause(s). Lead and assist with defining and implementing corrective and preventive actions, and resolution to audit findings.
- Work closely with all internal team members to identify issues and implement improvements.
- Writes/revises User Requirement Specs, Functional Requirement Specs, Design Specs, Qualifications, etc.
- Executes Factory and Site Acceptance Tests, Machinability Studies, and validation protocols.
- Writes and executes Risk Analysis (PFMEA and Fishbone Diagrams) and Engineering Change Orders.
- Responsible for review and approve PFMEA, DFMEA, PPAPs, and Standard Operating Procedures SOP and ensure that manufacturing and operations comply with.
- Utilize continuous improvement methodology to improve internal processes.
- Work collaboratively in cross-functional teams.
- Must be able to interact constructively across the whole organization including machine operators, production supervisors, maintenance, engineering, R&D, sales and management.
- Hands-on support of new product and new process launch.
- Must be able to handle multiple projects and multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Develop best in class processes
What are the basic qualifications?
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, manufacturing engineering, industrial technology, or equivalent mix or education and experience
- Minimum five (5) years' experience in automated machine design or assembly
What are the preferred qualifications?
- Experience with SolidWorks or another mechanical CAD system
- Working knowledge of mechanical devices, such as indexers, pick & place mechanisms, sensors, PLCs, stepper and servo motors
- Direct experience designing, building, deploying and supporting automation and execution systems (Delta V/SCADA, Syncade MES, PAT, OSI Pi Data historian, etc.).
- Strong commitment to proper safety precautions in design and practice
- Strong understanding of Lean concepts.
- Possess experience in plant layout.
- Excellent interpersonal and influencing skills to interact with other departments.
- Ability to multi-task and perform in a dynamic environment
- Strong sense of urgency, accountability and highly objective oriented
- Highly organized and efficient in approaching tasks, a self-starter with the ability to problem solve proactively
- impeccable organization and efficiency skills; strong attention to detail
- Clear, concise and articulate communication skills - verbal, written and listening
- Interfaces with wide array of individuals, balances multiple tasks and maintains positive attitude and energy
- Strong team player, work ethic and commitment to win right
- Strong analytical skills; ability to think big, act small and scale fast
To be a great fit for the role:
- Demonstrated experience in successfully achieving automation process improvements.
- Demonstrated experience in leading cross-functional teams to achieve automation project goals/objectives.
- Proven success project automation implementation (increased production rates, improved productivity, better product quality, improved safety, reduced factory lead times, higher output).
- Proven experience designing and/or maintaining automated manufacturing processes
- Proven experience in supporting highly automated/paperless new plant shakedowns, startups, commissioning & commercial support.
- Demonstrated experience implementing data acquisition systems for machine performance and loss-analysis including report writing
- Demonstrated experience utilizing Advanced Product Quality Planning Methodology and the integrated product and process development techniques within it. (e.g. Process Flow Diagrams, PFMEA, Control Plans, I/PPAP, Standard Work).
- Proven success managing medium and large-scale projects from concept development through successful implementation.
- Possesses a demonstrated ability to: lead change, influence others, foster key stakeholder relationships, lead by example, identify and plan for technical process improvements, remain focused, non-confrontational and flexible while under pressure